Monday, September 29, 2014

IFTTT: One of my Productivity Secrets

I'm about to share one of my productivity secrets with you. I've gotten comments from people who know me or follow me on social media that I seem to be *everywhere,* and they wonder how I have the time.

The secret?  I don't have time.  I use technology to help me.  There's several things I use, but one of the biggest ones is IFTTT.  IFTTT stands for If This, Then That and it connects web applications through their recipes.  

Here's a short video that shares the basic concept of IFTTT.  It's an older video, but it explains what it is and what it does well:



Here's a few ways that I use IFTTT to simplify my life:

When I take a picture on Instagram, it posts to Facebook as well if I tag it.  That way I don't have to do any extra steps to add it to my Facebook account.  I can be two places at once!


I use the same formula to add tagged Instagram pictures to my travel blog.  When I travel, I can take pictures, make them pretty with filter, and post them to my travel blog all at once.  



I always update my Twitter when this blog makes a new post, even if it's at the crack of dawn or the middle of the night. I'm not hanging around, waiting for the blog to post so I can put it on Twitter- it's all IFTTT.



I also use it to keep track of what I've done at work.  I use my iPad's To Do list to keep track of things.  (Anybody who works with me knows that if I don't write it down, it does not exist!) When I check it off as done,  the task goes to a spreadsheet on Google.  This is really handy come review time! 



Those are just a few examples. As of this writing, I have 41 recipes created to help me manage my online life.  Some of them seem like such small things, but it helps me look like Superwoman with very little work on my part!

Wanna try IFTTT?  Here's a great step by step video on how to get started. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! 

No comments: