Monday, May 26, 2014

Keep your phone number private with Google Voice

Do you want to include a phone number on your syllabus but don't have an office phone?  I always hated having to give my personal number out, but I wanted my students to have a way to contact me since I was not on campus very often.  My workaround for that was (and is!)  Google Voice.

Get a Google phone number (free!) and set it to work with your personal phones.  The student will have your Google number, not your cell phone or home number.    There are tons of features in Google voice that gives you a lot of control.  Students can also text to your Google voice number, and you can text back from your computer for free.  Transcribed messages can go right to your inbox if you want them to.

Google explains it better than I can:




Interested?  Chris Casal wrote an excellent tutorial on how to set up Google voice.

Do you use Google voice in your classes?  How has it worked out for you?  Leave a comment below! 

No comments: