Monday, April 28, 2014

Are you using Powerpoints Purposefully?

I love this Powerpoint on why Powerpoint is pointless.

I think that the author, Rebecca Scheuman, makes excellent points.

It's not that teachers cannot and should not use Powerpoint or other visual presentation tools. It's that the Powerpoint should have purpose.  If the presentation is just reading off bullet points, what are the students learning?  If an online student just zooms through a presentation of bullet points, is that tool really conveying what you need it to?

I'll admit that I'm guilty of being the occasional abuser of Powerpoints. Powerpoint is easy. Powerpoint keeps me on topic and organized. However, I've found that Powerpoint does stifle me at times.

I'll have to reevaluate how I use this tool in my classroom.

How do you use it in yours?  I'd love to hear your thoughts below!

No comments: